Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lately my California instincts have been deceived by angles, axis and mysterious alignments, all contributing to Dämmerung, the German dusk. Something about equator-distance-relation causes a sunset around 7:00PM, but an ever longer lingering dusk – last night until around 10:30PM. But New York is calling and within 27 days I will be landing in America again, 30 days in California. I suppose all this extra daylight is to help me reflect on this year. But the harder I try to formulate thoughts – about relationships made, mistakes and lessons learned, and personal intellectual growth – my mind creates a blockade, embargo against introspection. Perhaps it is a sign I should not reflect, yet. Time flowed in language school the first two months, at points froze during the university phase, and has rushed away during the internship. And when I grasp wind of changes at home, with the family and friend circles, I feel like an independent observer watching a globe trying to spin itself off a stand. And although glances turn to glazes by 2:00PM at work, my life is pretty fluid after business hours: meeting up with friends ends up wondering how the last weekday bus is already coming. Despite my reflection embargo, now that I have a calendar in my head, crossing off each passing day as my departure nears, I cannot help to shake the feeling that I need to catch some sort of Zeitgeist while I am still here.

New photos from Krakow are up. Link. Password: martybe

No comments: