Thursday, September 04, 2008

Slowly working

Ever so slowly the language is comming back to me. First arriving it was still hard to string sentences together without awkward pauses. People are starting to stare at me less, which makes me think I’m blending in well. And less people are trying to speak English to me, I suppose that means my American accent is slowly fading away again. I lost it once and am determined to lose it again. This month I’ve made a personal pact to hang out with Americans less. I really do like them all, however it has not been inductive to me learning more German. I’ve noticed that in this first week. I go home, practice German, and am slowly improving — so I’ve led myself into believing at least. Every morning on the way to school objects, people, and places are constantly named and little stories are made up about them in my head. I hope it helps me to start thinking German.

Loneliness? Homesickness? Culture shock? Has not hit me yet. It will. This blog will keep you updated once it has.

No comments: