Sunday, October 04, 2009

Moving Day

Perhaps the title gave it away. But after two months, it is time to move again. I already did a farewell to Köln post, so no need to rehash old things. Tomorrow, the house will be cleaned, the dishes put away, and flowers will be laid out for my gracious host-grandma when she returns on Tuesday. My hair is two months longer (probably to the chagrin of my dad who paid for the last haircut), however my beard is trimmed - I even used a real razor to get a clean cut.

I suppose anxious could well describe my mood. I am going to move into a family’s house tomorrow, somebody I have never even known before. They are taking me in simply by the 1/2 page self-description I sent in half a year ago. If this seems like a leap of faith for Americans, a history lesson in German culture would lead into the fact this stretch is much farther for a German. I am grateful, and I have not even been witness to their hospitality.

Supposivly I’ll write and tell you how it all is, but I cannot promise that. Monday I have to register for University (Uni here), Thursday I have my interview / contract at my future job, and in just over a week classes start. So far I picked out one class: guitar songs. I have no idea what that means, and the course handbook is less than helpful: it does not even say when the class is. So this week will be like every semester at Berkeley, a frantic panic and overloading of courses to see which one I get into.

One step at a time though, tomorrow Martin meets the Fischbachs.

No comments: